UPDATED Goal: Run 72 miles - 24 X 3 - by November 3, 2007 (My 24th Birthday!)

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

The Bell Has Probably Tolled...

Last week's blerghyness (real word, that) may have been the final coffin in my plan to achieve my already re-worked goal of running 72 miles by November 3 (my 24th birthday).

As of this writing, I have managed to run only 33 miles - less than half of my goal. If I really stretch I can possibly run 4 times a week. There are four weeks left before my birthday.

I have never run more than 1.5 miles at a time. Weak, I know... but increased distance appears to come very very slowly to me.

So... if I average 1.75 miles (longshot) x 4 times a week (also a longshot) x 4 weeks remaining... I will have run an additional 28 miles and will fall 11 miles short of my intended target.

At the very least.

Plus, with sleet and snow always a possibility in Toronto in November (despite yesterday's 30+ degree scorcher of a Thanksgiving day) making long term goals now may result in weather-related disappointment.

SOOOOOO... what do I do now?

4 comments:

Bev said...

How about you run what you can and walk a couple extra miles each work out. Claim your miles! You can do this!

Dave Fleet said...

Hey, don't make me come out there and run with you, 'cos I will! :)

You can do it if you really want to. Bev's right - try one longer walk/run every few days, or take a bit more time at the weekends, head down to the waterfront and people-watch while you work out.

And, seriously, if you want someone to drag you out kicking and screaming, give me a shout and I'll help.

Andria said...

GAH!!! What to do now?!!? I'm reading these backwards and I see such negativity in your posts. You are out there running - yes RUNNING! You make it sound like you're not doing anything but you are out there doing what you set out to do. Don't worry about the milage. The miles are not the point! You are doing this to get healthy and feel a sense of accomplishment. You say if you run 4x a week... but that's 4x more than you were running. Also, a lot of beginner plans only have you run 3x a week, so you are fine with what you are doing.

Don't stress out about this. Have fun with it. If you stress yourself too much you will burn out easier. You are doing great and you deserve a whole lot of WOHOOS that you are sticking with it.

Andria said...

I'm with Dave, don't make us come up there! Haha!