UPDATED Goal: Run 72 miles - 24 X 3 - by November 3, 2007 (My 24th Birthday!)

Friday, October 12, 2007

It's cold outside, there's no kind of atmosphere. I'm all alone, more or less...

So many I'm not in space (today's thread title is brought to you courtesy of the old British tv sci-fi comedy "Red Dwarf"), but it certainly is cold in Toronto tonight.

My handy dandy firefox browser weather application has the temperature hovering around 7 degrees celcius (44 fahrenheit) with brisk 19 km/hr (12 miles per hour) winds. That means a windchill of 3 degrees c (12 f).

Yikes. And to imagine it's only going to get worse. As a lifelong Canadian (and not even a wussy Torontonian - a native Montrealer!), I shouldn't be surprised that winter comes along every year without fail. Or that it is cold. And yet... I kind of keep wishing that each year the meteorological Gods forget to change from early-fall temps to unfathomable below freezing ones.
Despite this, I bravely donned my shoes, sweat-wicking pants (that GOD I opted for the pants versus the shorts in May) and Vision TV t-shirt which OA got for free from a work colleague (she promptly handed it over to me to use for my runs).

Yes a t-shirt tonight. I still can't feel my arms completely.

It wasn't all sooooo bad tonight with the cold - although I came in under my "dream goal" of 2 miles again tonight by over 0.75 miles. My legs were feeling awfully leaden and my breathing was only so-so. The wind came whipping off of St. Clair and I kept dreading having to turn into it each lap.

So yes, I am slightly disappointed. But for my first two-nights in a row run in ages... not so bad.

A major fun goal this weekend is going to be picking up a long-sleeved workout top (the Vision TV shirt is going into the closet and probably won't be coming out until April).

Oh and I'm also going to start calculating the approximate length of my workouts in minutes (including a quick 0.25 mile walking warm-up to the track which I don't count in my overall mile goals). The first person to mock me for my BLISTERING 30 minute mile pace will get a virtual smack over the head. :)

I'm off to defrost in a nice warm shower!

DAY 40 REPORT

start time: 8:10 pm
Total Distance: 2 miles
Total Time Including Warm-Up: 40 minutes

Total Ran (approx): 1.25 miles
Total Walked (approx): 0.75 mile

Legs - heavy feeling
Feet - fine
Lungs - uneven
Stomach - good
Sweat level - low

5 comments:

The Laminator said...

Hey! Keep at it girl. Cheering for ya. Great blog by the way. See ya!

Bev said...

10 degrees! Oh my. I think you are awesome for being able to go out in that weather at all. I have been worried about running in the Texas winter, but sounds like I just need to suck it up. I might have a handful of days in the 30s, but that is about it.

Dave Fleet said...

1) I LOVE Red Dwarf!

2) For running gear, try the Runners' Shop near Bloor & Avenue. It's a small place and you get lots of help if you need it.

3) Yesterday was damned cold. Closest I came to running was walking to the fridge for another beer. Good for you!

Andria said...

Great job on getting out there for 40 minutes. I'm worried about it getting colder here, but I'll try to take you advice and remember not to wear a t-shirt :)

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Wireless, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://wireless-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.