UPDATED Goal: Run 72 miles - 24 X 3 - by November 3, 2007 (My 24th Birthday!)

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Death at the doorstep

Thank you to Bev and Dave for your comments for my rather sullen post this morning.

I have recalibrated my remaining training plan and, if all goes well, I may realistically be able to achieve it.

It looks like this (the numbers on the right represent how many miles I should run that night):

09-Oct-07 Tue 1.75
10-Oct-07 Wed
11-Oct-07 Thu 2.00
12-Oct-07 Fri 2.00
13-Oct-07 Sat
14-Oct-07 Sun 2.25
15-Oct-07 Mon
16-Oct-07 Tue 2.25
17-Oct-07 Wed
18-Oct-07 Thu 2.50
19-Oct-07 Fri 2.50
20-Oct-07 Sat
21-Oct-07 Sun 2.75
22-Oct-07 Mon
23-Oct-07 Tue 2.75
24-Oct-07 Wed
25-Oct-07 Thu 3.00
26-Oct-07 Fri 3.00
27-Oct-07 Sat
28-Oct-07 Sun 3.25
29-Oct-07 Mon
30-Oct-07 Tue 3.25
31-Oct-07 Wed
01-Nov-07 Thu 3.50
02-Nov-07 Fri 3.50
03-Nov-07 Sat

If I follow this schedule to the letter, I will have run a grand total of 74.46 miles by November 3, which allows me a teeny bit of leniancy here and there.

Oh, and while I am a confirmed run/walker, I am not counting the miles I walk in my workouts as part of the mileage. This is my running tally and if I allowed myself to start counting walk breaks, I would not be able to push myself to go that extra running lap or whatnot.

As for tonight's actual run. 1.75 miles. Another longest distance ever. Woot.







I felt like I was going to die.

Don't laugh.

I'm serious. Death was there at doorstep calling me home to him.

Somehow I managed to shake off Beezelbub, because I'm at home now typing. It was a close call.

I have a feeling he will be back on Thursday when I have, suicidally, decided to schedule my first 2 mile run. Yikes.

DAY 38 REPORT

start time: 8 pm
Total Distance: 2.75 miles

Total Ran (approx): 1.75 miles
Total Walked (approx): 1 mile

Legs - pretty good
Feet - another numb right foot
Lungs - below-average
Stomach - twingey in places
Sweat level - high

2 comments:

Helen said...

I think you're being really hard on yourself, especially with not counting any of the miles you walk in your program!

It doesn't matter if you are walking or running, you're improving your fitness, and over time, you'll be able to do mostly (or all) running.

Try not to be so hard on yourself and focus on the good part: you're out there trying to get better and that's more than most people are doing. Especially when you've had crazy setbacks like SURGERY in the middle of your grand plan.

There's nothing wrong with walking if it gets you through the distance. Most people (especially new runners) walk a little bit during their training runs -- and the longer the runs get the more walk breaks they take. Eventually you won't have to do it most of the time but sometimes you will, and really, that's OK.

Maybe you should set a different goal - instead of a certain number of miles by your birthday, how about a number of times you'll get out there to run. Set yourself a positive, achievable goal, not something daunting that will discourage or frustrate you for a month.

Good luck and don't quit!

Andria said...

The walking miles should count. Like you said, they are helping you do that last lap running. Even being out there and getting sweaty while walking counts. Don't be so hard on yourself. You deserve the higher milage!