UPDATED Goal: Run 72 miles - 24 X 3 - by November 3, 2007 (My 24th Birthday!)

Saturday, June 9, 2007

Who said walking is easier than jogging?

It is official. Walking 3/4 mile up a steep incline with two heavy bottles in your hand in 35 degree celcius heat is tougher than jogging 1 mile while carrying no weight around a flat track in cool morning temps.

For my Tony Awards party tomorrow night (yes I am a musical theatre uber-geek... make fun of me now) I am going to be making Manhattans as our pre-dinner cocktail. Unfortunately, this meant I had to run to the LCBO (province-owned liquor store) to purchase bourbon and vermouth. Given that the LCBO flagship store is seemingly just down the block from my office, I decided to pick up the necessary booze over yesterday's lunch hour. Bad move... it was absolutely broiling outside and I was in a suit. Sweat city. Climbing up the very, very steep incline in that heat after having done my first half mile jog a few hours earlier nearly killed me.

The suffering I endure for the Tony Awards!

Tomorrow is definitely going to be another jogging day... the French Open Men's final between Nadal and Federer goes tomorrow at 9am EST. I want to be up and alert enough to appreciate what should be a great match. Go Federer!

Luckily, it should also be way cooler tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

Benjamin Eble said...

Hello,

Do not be to concerned about the so-called talk while you jog "rule". If you are working hard at your running, and you are not very well conditioned, you will probably feel quite winded. But, if you stay at it for a few short months, then you will soon be able to progress much more easily. Right now, your body has to adapt in many areas. Your muscles have to get stronger. Your ventilatory muscles have to develop more endurance. You have to develop a smooth, comfortable gait. You have to learn to relax more for longer distances. Your heart has to get used to pumping more blood. So just stay with it. If you continue, then in six months, you may find that jogging a few miles feels almost as natural as walking a few miles today. Keep an eye on your progress, and see how far you can go.

Ben