UPDATED Goal: Run 72 miles - 24 X 3 - by November 3, 2007 (My 24th Birthday!)

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Goal Setting Time

This week marks my 6 week jogging anniversary.

When I started back on May 29, I had no idea I could keep up with something this long and, quite frankly, exactly what everyone says would happen happened - I started to look forward to my running days. Shock.

I'm still wheezy. My distance is still puny. But there's progress. And I have come to the realization that small amounts of progress are enough.

So I have reviewed my goals in the last few days. My first one was simply to be able to run one lap of a quarter mile track without stopping. Check.

The next one was to be able to run the equivalent of two laps. Check.

Still, the fact that both of those accomplishments have taken me so long makes me think I need to have a larger goal to be looking forward to/pushing me faster along my small goal checkpoints.

So as of today I have made a new goal. My 100 mile plan.

I want to have run 100 miles by my 24th birthday on November 3. Starting from my May 29th get off my ass date, that makes 22 weeks and 4 days, or the equivalent of approximately 4.35 miles per week.

So far, I have run 10.61 miles - or approximately 10.5% of my goal in approximately 25% of my available time.

Clearly, I need to start aiming for higher mileage totals on a weekly basis. Last week - one of my best so far - I ran only 2.5 miles.

Despite this, I think the goal is realistic - especially as I start adding more and more distance each week.

Plus, now I have a very cute little ticker to update! What more could a girl ask for?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

good luck with your new goal, i think it is totally do-able! and now that you're enjoying/looking forward to your running days, it should be even easier for you to reach it!!